Saturday, September 13, 2008

Moment of Clarity

A couple of mornings ago I had a dream about an old girlfriend. If you are in a relationship or marriage you know that that is not a good thing. I love my wife of 8 years with all of the heart that God gave me. Sure, we have had our ups and downs but now we feel that we are closer than we have ever been and we are enjoying our journey together.

This dream was short but it was powerful. I saw me leaving my wife and my old girlfriend leaving her husband. The two of us were okay with it and we got back together. I awoke that morning and felt kind of weird. It was about 6:30am and while I was eating breakfast, reading 'A Royal Waste of Time', the Lord showed me the definition of the dream. He said "I am not asking you to leave your wife and family nor you old girlfriend. I am showing you that my people need to comeback to their first love. If people would love me like their first love they would worship me from their hearts."

It was a powerful picture. But, it made total sense. I think back to middle school, and high school where relationships came and went. I also think of the power of those relationships. What we would give up to be with that person. We would try to walk on water to be with them. Every waking minute was tried to be spent with them. Every day was planned around seeing that person. The future was talked about as if it was set in stone. When you'd get married, how many kids you'd have, etc... were a few of the topics a young couple in love covers.

Now after two children and eight years of marriage how things have changed. Sometimes we see each other for about 20 hours total all week. We do have to catch ourselves and make sure we are expressing our love towards each other. We have to be careful that we don't let the tasks of everyday life divide our marriage. Which in today's day and age is not hard to do with all kinds of commitments pulling relationships in totally different directions.

God wants his first love back which is you and me. Will we drive half an hour to meet with God for 10 minutes? Would we schedule our day around us meeting with God? Will we call him even if we have nothing to say? We will call him just to hear him breathe, bettery yet for him just to hear us breathe.

1 comment:

  1. I like the post buddy. The last paragraph was really cool, using the dream in the first paragraph. But I must ask, and I'm not saying anything about you or anything like that, but would God really show you sinning/committing adultery in a dream? Sounds like God was almost "tempting" you with your old girlfriend, that just how it sounds to me, but what you got out of that dream was very cool. I just would be careful if you are saying it's from God. I mean no offense or harsh feelings at all. I'm just provoking discussion and thought. I love the post though, very challenging to our faith :-)

    ReplyDelete