Saturday, September 27, 2008

Assigned Reading Sept. 22-26

As I read this past week I felt as though I was standing in Jim Bakker's shoes. Not that I pretend to know what he went through but I had his title of his latest book on the forefront of my mind. I WAS WRONG.

I looked at worship as a place to be enthusiastic and a place to let loose. I looked at following the contemporary scene as the more 'right' way to lead worship.

Dawn makes it clear that the totality of the service is what worship is not just the music. If we are focused on the music then we've already fallen short of knowing what true worship is. Worship is more like a symphany coming together than a jam session. It has details, thought, artistry, planning, and charisma.

It has been said that Satan does his best work from within the church. If I skip the backbitting, gossip, insubordination, selfishness etc... and I go to how Satan has divided the church from within. I'm not sure what's worse that we have left a generation to worship alone or the fact that we're okay with it. Dawn expresses the magnitude of this mistake by saying that we need both young and old to make the church flourish like it should. She talked of the one person who's been away and comes back, that person needs a mentor. She spoke of singing a song she didn't like to work through her own distastes without sacrificing substance.

I need to not look at what other churches are doing or what is the best way to market Jesus but look, listen and feel what the Spirit of God is telling me. I keep coming back to the word balance. If we humble ourselves before God and are obedient in what direction he's telling us to go we won't get lost nor left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment